Tuesday, May 30, 2017

"Secret Path" event



Secret Path, the graphic novel depiction of Chanie Wenjack and his final days while escaping a residential school in October, 1966. He died along the railroad tracks trying to get home 400 miles away. This evening's event was hosted by RISE- Reconciliation in Solidarity Edmonton for Reconciliation Week. Miranda Jimmy so graciously offered me the gift of this graphic novel if I promised to show up for my volunteering duties for the rest of this week. Yes, I was a little late showing up to help out today, lol. But she's a great friend and I'm so blessed to know her.

I also got a chance to chat with Mike Downie who was a key figure in the creation of not only the graphic novel, but also a musical album by the same name put together by the Tragically Hip's lead singer, Gord Downie, Mike's brother. Mike is co-chair of the Gord Downie and Chanie Wenjack fund which works to further reconciliation efforts here in Canada. I suggested something to Mike to which he said it was a very good, and interesting point. He even seemed intrigued. Yet time will only tell if he takes up my advice. I'm just surprised he or nobody else in this particular circle thought of it prior to this evening. So if he does take my advice, I'll be sure to tell you folks all about it and accept my pat on the back humbly and graciously, cuz that's just the kind of guy I am, lol!

Anyway, if you haven't already heard the album, seen the documentary complete with music from this album, received your copy of the graphic novel or even watched Gord's music video to "The Stranger", I highly recommend you visit… https://www.downiewenjack.ca
johnnyluv

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your time and please keep coming back with your comments and suggestions