Saturday, February 13, 2016

Truth and Reconciliation is NOT a Place for Profit

   Why are there so many people and organizations profiting from Truth and Reconciliation? Like the University of Alberta and Life Skills Journey Program in Edmonton?

   I've been talking to people who have been, are going down this road and see the same thing happening in other countries. Truth and Reconciliation has become a big money making joke. Nothing really changes unless we demand it and do it in a way that those who have been doing the oppressing... PAY! Such as the educational system. NOT THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN ON THE RECEIVING END OF OPPRESSION!

  I've gotten a response to this posting by a facilitator and they tried to tell me that the money was going to pay for the room and the panelists in the workshop. Two of which were Indigenous. Well let me see, $125 + GST. per person. JUST HOW MUCH DOES THIS DAMN ROOM COST!

  And as an educational institution which has been part of the historical cover up concerning indigenous histories. They could provide the darn room for free as the least they could do now that the truth is coming out concerning their perceived ignorance regarding the residential school system and genocide of my people's... Higher learning my ass. And if these panelists truly cared about furthering the cause of reconciliation. They wouldn't be asking for so much of a paycheck to do it. It's not like it was their career choice to be panelists on such an important issue.

  I said it once and I'll say it again... We must be careful of those who are going to jump on this TRC bandwagon just in order to make a name for themselves, make money.. or water down the truth in order to keep the status quo.
                                           johnnyluv

 

 

UPDATE:

 I just came from a meeting with a representative from the U of A and what I heard did have some merits. such as we have to begin changing the colonial mindset through love and seeking allies with those who have taken part in the oppression of my peoples. This is regards to some angered comments about the U of A profiting from the Truth and Reconciliation(See above), which they are by holding meetings and discussion panels on their property. one coming up will cost $125. this is so ridiculous. I told them they should be providing the space at no cost if they are serious about reconciliation. anything else is anti-reconciliation. But hey, in my view they don't care. it's just the perceived appearance that they care by holding these meetings. As long as it doesn't cost them anything, and hey if they make a profit while looking good to the public... why not, right. Damn sick if you ask me. If they are not willing to kick in by means of some real space on their property and real time allotment, then I say we hold these meetings someplace else.

Johnnyluv

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your time and please keep coming back with your comments and suggestions